The craze of an i-phone would seem like it would be here for eternity but nevertheless, Apple’s i-OS has been facing a tough competition from the ever improvising smart phones. With new models and new apps, the Google android has expanded enormously over a very short period of time.
If you want to see your app on the market, android is the preferred platform to program for as Google has open sourced all the tools you would need. This means that unlike programming for Apple, programming for Android is totally free. All the tools you should need to develop your app can be downloaded very easily from various sites all around the net.
This move by Google provided for a lot many third party apps on android than there are on Apple store. Android provides us with apps that are more fulfilling both qualitatively and quantitatively than Apple. Apple doesn’t give young developers and new programmers a chance. You can’t code for Apple unless and until you have a lot of money which is not possible for many upcoming developers. Apple has quality because it restricts quantity and innovation. Only the richer, older and more experienced are allowed to build Applications for Apple so that directly means they’ll have fewer Apps and probability of finding better apps is more.
This doesn’t imply in any way that Android has low-quality apps. Android provides for a wide and amazing variety of Apps. People love Apps development and publishing it on the Play Store and can do so with just the registration fee. No fee is needed to use the Android App Development Tools.
A FEW STARTERS!
So, you are all motivated and want to develop for Android?
Well, I am not going to totally motivate you. I am going to point two facts :-
1) It is not easy and it definitely is not a one day job.
2) The play store offers very tough competition.
So, don’t get into programming any app for any platform thinking that this sounds like fun and I’ll do it without any glitches whatsoever. There is a lot to programming an app. It’s not all code. It’s the idea, the design, the layout and the gameplay which play a role as well. It’s going to take you weeks, maybe months to come up with an App you are satisfied enough to publish.
Also, the large variety of apps on the Play Store limits the possibility of your App being unique and standing out. To be something new, you have to be brilliant enough to think out of the box and take risks. A few pointers to developing a popular game are :-
1) Keep it colourful, bright and cool
2) Keep it as interactive and user friendly as possible
3) Keep it simple, yet addictive. Don’t complicate your design or the game play.
4) Have a lot of challenges or missions. Come up with a way to challenge the users, maybe new levels to unlock or new objects to buy. This would keep the user hooked on to the game longer.
5) Identify the need and the demand. Don’t make a game similar to a one that is already out there.
Almost the same pointers need to be followed while building a utility app. At the root level, what you need to keep in mind is that your app should be simple, interesting and user friendly.
THE REQUIRED TOOLS
To start programming for Android all you need to just download the ADT (Android developer Tools) Bundle and you are good to go. This single download provides all the tools you would need to begin developing.
The bundle contains:
- Eclipse + ADT plugin
- Android SDK Tools
- Android Platform Tools
- The latest Android platform
- The latest Android system image for the emulator
This bundle is very easy to download and set- up, all you have to do is:
- Type Android development tools in Google search
- Click on the first link
- You would find ADT bundle, which is a win-zip file. Check the file according to your OS specifications (Windows/Linux/Mac). Download it.
- Once downloaded, unpack the zip file into the desired file location.
This bundle is all that is needed to start off your programming adventure.